Thursday, March 04, 2010

Blacking Out

On the advice of someone much more experienced than I, the Hazel Art Open House Show has been changed to April 8th, from 6 - 8pm. Refreshments will be served.

On that note, I'm very busy getting the paintings and the house ready for the show. Sweet daughter Anna suggested painting the outer edges of all the unframed paintings black. This gives them a finished look, in spite of being unframed. (It a fairly common way to go about preparing paintings for a show. If memory serves, there are even paintings in the Menil Collection with this type of finished look.) It's slow tedious work, and requires no creativity, though as precise as I am about details (in certain things,) it's good that it's me doing the work, and not someone else. In any regard, to finish a painting this way is contemporary.

I am a contemporary artist.

No comments: