Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Civic Lesson

Yesterday, I had the privilege of driving our German neighbor to the Department of Homeland Security for her final interview before becoming a citizen of the United States. While waiting with her, she quizzed me on civics. I guess it was fun for her to see me struggle to answer a few of the questions. After living here my entire life, you'd think answering these questions would be easy.

It was such a thrill to get a first hand look as these people from all over the globe, old and young, black, white, and every shade in between. The interviewers opened a door calling out names they struggled to pronounce - - not a single Bob or Sue in the whole bunch. At each name a completely unique person stood tall, if not slightly nervous, each hoping to legally join Team USA and forever celebrate life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It was completely inspiring.

No comments: