Monday, June 22, 2009

Busking in the Afterglow

Getting whooping cough has been one of the best things to ever happen in my life. The constant tiredness caused by the cough forced me to slow down, and because of that, I finally had both time and opportunity to learn to play the ukulele. For whatever reason, I've taken to the ukulele like a duck to water. And delight of delights, Reese (on guitar) and I (on ukulele) play music together morning and night.

Not long into this new found love, it was decided that Reese and I needed to take it to the streets. So last night, spur of the moment, Reese and I went busking. (Busking is the practice of performing in public places for tips and gratuities.)

We live a short walk from a shopping/restaurant area of Houston. Deciding that was the place to have our first outdoor public performance, we loaded up the guitar, some sheet music, the ukulele, a djembe, the playlist, and a hat...for the tips, IF we got any. In the actual act of putting one foot in front of the other to walk there, not knowing what was about to happen, Reese and I both started to get a little nervous. But honestly, there was nothing to worry about...we would just play the same songs we play and sing in our living room every day. Piece of cake.

Sure enough, once we got started, there was nothing to it. Because the playlist wasn't very long, we ended up rotating through the same songs over and over. We played for an hour and earned enough money to buy ourselves a few beers plus a tip for the waiter....during which time,
while enjoying said cold frothy beverage, we realized the whole busking event had been undocumented with a photo. So, we went back and performed the songlist again, this time making sure to ask if someone would please take our picture. (?) And yes, during the second set, we earned more tips.

All in all, it was a most excellent adventure, one we are eager to repeat.

4 comments:

Anna Hazel said...

wootwoot. I wish I was there to play the spoons with you... I might be coming to Houston 4th of July for a bike scavenger hunt I cant wait to call you mom. talk to you soon.
love love love

erinhazel said...

http://www.utexas.edu/txunion/ae/cactus/current.php?section=ae

this upcoming monday the best ukelele player in the world is coming to the cactus! wanna come? we can talk guestlist...

James Everett Newman said...

What fun!

There she goes! said...

I LOVE that you did that! Next time you do that you need to call us. C&D would especially have enjoyed it.

I've always had secret desires to go busking at a street corner somewhere, too . . . there's maybe something romantic about it.

Houston would be a happier place with more music around and about. Hope you have a chance to do it again soon.