Thursday, September 23, 2010

This Old Garage Apartment

This garage apartment had been used as an artist studio years ago, with the artist creating in and on every square inch of the space; walls, floor, and ceiling, as seen in the photo. My generous neighbor, Fran owns it. Fran and her husband, Larry were some of the first friends we made when we moved to this neighborhood 12-ish years ago. Fran has a swimming pool, and with proper supervision, repeatedly invited our four daughters over to swim. I fully credit any skill our daughters have in the water to Fran's unfailing generosity.


Fran and I, and a few other neighbors, have been slowly renovating the space with the idea that Fran will be able to rent it out when we're finished. (By slowly, I mean that because of everyone's busy schedules, we only work on Thursday mornings.) It's got loads of potential. So far, in addition to moving old furniture and things out, we've been scraping layers of paint from the wood trim, and have been removing old sheetrock and the wallpaper and cheesecloth underneath that. We're debating whether or not to keep the ceiling as an homage to the former artist, as well as one of the more creative walls.

It's incredibly satisfying to see the work start to take shape.

Believe it or not, there's a possibility (probability?) that I may have an art show in this space in the future (before Fran rents it). Maybe.

4 comments:

Kerita said...

It’s been two years since the last time you posted a picture in this blog. I wonder how this old garage looks like right now. I’m pretty sure that with your artistic mind and skillful hands, you were able to transform it into a good working place. By the way, were you able to pursue your plan of using this place as an art studio?
Kerita Kantz

Sarah Hazel said...

Well, Kerita, I'm sad to report that this project has languished and is yet unfinished. It's not my property so my influence on its completion is small. Maybe someday I'll be able to share photos of it with my paintings on the walls during an artist reception. That would be fun.

Sharron Folkes said...

Hi, Sarah. It’s sad to know that the renovation of that garage is still unfinished. I’m also curious (and a bit excited) to see its “before” and “after” photos. And yes, I do hope you’ll be able to exhibit your paintings here someday. I’ll look forward to seeing them, like Kerita here. Please update me. Thanks. :)

Sarah Hazel said...

Well, maybe I'll revisit the idea of having an art show there....