Monday, June 10, 2013

Homemade Furniture Polish AKA Salad Dressing

I don't remember where I saw this on the internet and therefore am not in a position to give credit where credit is due, but as you can see from the before/after photos, it works.  The basic recipe for this furniture polish is a simple salad dressing - two parts oil/ one part vinegar. I used canola oil and apple cider vinegar.

Before

After
The very observant observer will notice that these are two different chair legs on account of me forgetting to take a before photo before working on the first leg. However, the effect is the same. Before - both legs looked crappy. After - both legs looked good.

Tilly the wonder dog was extremely interested in "helping" with this project by sneaking licks of the chair legs when I wasn't looking. I mean, who can blame her? It was salad dressing! The only thing that would have made this project more fun for Tilly would have been if I had used butter in place of the oil and vinegar. Has anyone ever tried butter for furniture polish? It might work.....?

As good as the chair legs look now, on the down side, multiple washings and hours later, my hands still smell like vinegar. At least Tilly likes the way I smell. 

No comments: