Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Return to Life

A month ago, I finished what is now referred to as the "worst part of my breast cancer treatment" so far -- radiation therapy. The experience was so bad that I quit in the middle of it, only to coax myself to finish a negotiated reduced treatment course. I NEVER want to do radiation again.

Cancer treatment is not over. Every three weeks, I still have infusions of a drug called Herceptin. Herceptin is the only drug available that effectively treats my type of breast cancer, so I'm exceedingly glad that it was developed. Five more cycles of infusion therapy (which puts me finishing all treatment in July), and then I can focus on breast reconstruction surgery, which, I think (hope) will be the last step in this journey. According to blood work, almost all of my numbers are back to normal, which means that the good days outnumber the bad, though I do tire easily. Also, hoping to improve flexibility and strength in my upper body (post mastectomy), I will start physical therapy later this month.

The vibrancy of spring as new growth appears on the trees and blossoms bloom after a prolonged winter convalescence is the best encouragement -- that and the continued kindness of friends who remember me in their prayers and written messages. Every day, I'm trying to return to life and thankful for my little part of it/in it, however small.

Enjoying an impromptu visit at home from some young neighbor friends 

1 comment:

Margaret Simon said...

I feel a sense of joy and relief. May spring continue to bring healing and health. Love you, my friend.