Friday, March 15, 2024

The Grey Scale

This fella was sleeping near the bottom of some stairs along Buffalo Bayou in the downtown Houston area, though it seems like it's a scene that could have been anywhere. That's the thing with homelessness, or whatever brand of outdoor living this is. I don't know this guy's story -- I don't know anything about him other than how seeing him there, vulnerable and oblivious, my eye was drawn to the composition and color scheme and the poignancy of his aloneness in the vastness of this city. 



This painting is 24" x 30" oil on cotton canvas. I usually paint on linen instead of cotton, so it's always interesting to see how the paint moves on a different surface as it is applied. There was a bit of a learning curve painting on cotton, which hopefully I'll remember as I have several more cotton canvases that someone gave me to use. I've already started the sketch on another cotton canvas so we'll see how the next one goes. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy hearing why you paint something as well as seeing the results! You are wonderful

Anonymous said...

Your purposeful and thoughtful intent conveys nicely into this painting. I would love to see this superimposed on the otherwise vibrant and seemingly prosperous downtown Houston landscape. The contrast is powerful and you are truly gifted, Sarah.