Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Sent on Vacation


Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

A year and a half ago, I was granted a breast cancer survivor's vacation to Rome through Send Me On Vacation. As those of you who are regular readers of my blog may remember, to pay for the plane ticket, I sold some paintings, and shopped for the least expensive ticket I could find, and bought it. Then, the entire world shut down because of the highly contagious, new coronavirus that was hospitalizing and killing people by the thousands. The trip to Rome was postponed. And postponed again. And postponed again. And again. It has been postponed so many times that I don't even remember. So when the organization sent out an invitation to attend a trip in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico, I quickly decided that this trip would be a delightful alternative. (On a side note -- two weeks ago, the money for the plane ticket to Rome was finally credited back to our bank account, which has helped subsidize fees and incidentals while in Mexico. For this trip, one of my dear friends donated his airline miles for the plane ticket to Puerto Vallarta. So grateful.) 

Sayulita, Mexico

Last week, through the resort Vidanta's Ambassador program where Vidanta members donate their weeks and rooms to various charitable organizations, in this case, to Send Me On Vacation, a group of us breast cancer survivors (and one uterine cancer survivor) went to stay at the Vidanta resort in Nuevo Vallarta. Four of us were HER2 positive, though I think (?) I was the only HER2 positive, ER, PR negative. Put it this way, at least no one else spoke about that specific breast cancer diagnosis to me. It was interesting to compare notes on our treatments, disease progression, progress (or lack thereof) and recovery. To go from independence and invincibility to relying on others and weakness is difficult even for the strongest among us. It was helpful for me to see and visit with other ladies who had also gone through chemo, radiation, and surgeries and hear about (and see) their scars, whether physical or emotional. 

On our way to another adventure together, vaccinated and covid free.

It was a special blessing to spend time with new friends with whom I formed an instant bond. As beautiful as our surroundings were, in thinking back on the week, my favorite times were spent with these ladies. We took a taxi together into Puerto Vallarta to the south, and Sayulita to the north, and San Vicente to the east to roam the streets, visit the markets, barter for bracelets, sit in the square, and eat a meal (or a popsicle). In San Vicente, where our taxi driver took us to show us his hometown and buy us a popsicle, we were still at the square when a political parade moseyed down the street! I LOVE Mexico!


Thank you to those of you, friends and strangers, who have prayed for and supported me from the very beginning, when I announced my breast cancer diagnosis on this blog almost four years ago. Looking back on that blog entry, I was naive to think that everything was going to be completed within a year -- little did I know or understand. With each day that passes, I continue to progress toward health and my new normal. I'm grateful for an opportunity to have renewed my spirit through this vacation. I'm exceedingly grateful for the new friends I've met. And, I'm grateful for those of you, dear friends, who continue to love, support, and pray for me, scars and all.

Sunset in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico





No comments: