Monday, February 06, 2023

The Local

Every now and then, a friend will post a photo on social media that I'm sure will make for an interesting painting. This was one of those photos. My friend Lorna with Atlas Adventure Trips took the pre-pandemic reference photo several years ago while on a trip in Purmamarca, Argentina. She graciously let me use her image for this painting. 

The monochromatic colors in Lorna's original photo intrigued me. The dirt and rocks in the mountains surrounding the town (according to Google images) are these same colors. It's almost as if the old man is made of the same clay and rocks, which of course reminds me of the latter part of Genesis 3:19....for dust you are and to dust will you return, which, incidentally, is why I don't dust -- it might be someone I know. ;)

The painting is 16" x 20" oil on canvas. 


 

No comments: