Saturday, March 11, 2023

At the Masur Museum of Art

The Amazing Reese and I drove six hours from our home in Houston to Monroe, LA to attend the opening reception of Masur Museum of Art's 60th Juried Competition Exhibition a couple of days ago. 

Arriving at the Masur Museum of Art for the opening reception (!!!)

The juror for the exhibition was Jovanna Venegas, assistant curator at San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. She was well spoken and gracious, and took time out of her busy evening to chat about my work and visit with my sweet parents. 

Juror remarks by Jovanna Venegas to a well attended reception


My parents really enjoyed chatting with Jovanna. 

One way that I can grow as an artist is to get better about talking about my work. The viewing public is naturally curious and want to know the inspiration behind the painting(s), and maybe it's all right to say that I don't even know why some images appeal to me more than others, and why I paint them. (?) Is it appropriate to say that maybe some of what I select to paint is based on intuition? Suffice it to say that talking about myself/my art is a work in progress.

Visiting with a new fan of my work

When talking with Jovanna, I wish that instead of me fumbling around for things to say, that I had thought to ask her what resonated with Three Girls that she selected this piece for this show. 

Maybe I could have said that I love painting all kinds of people in all walks of life (?) 

THE #1 reason we drove 6 hours to attend the reception was to meet Jovanna Venegas of the San Francisco MoMA, meet the curator of collections of the Masur Museum, Stefan Nodarse, with the added bonus of meeting various board members of the Masur. It was totally worth it.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fine excursion for our artist and her exquisite Three Girls.

Sarah Hazel said...

Thank you!

Joan Moody said...

Grateful but no surprise your work was chosen, seen and admired. Congrats Sarah!