Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Supper Time

It's dreary and cold outside. Instead of painting today, it felt more like a day tailor made for cooking comfort food. Tonight's supper: roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and pound cake with chocolate sauce for dessert.

In all my years of cooking, I've never roasted a chicken. I don't even own a roasting pan. Following a Julia Child recipe found online, I can't begin to describe how delicious and savory the house smells right now. It's not the prettiest bird ever cooked, but who cares when the aroma is so intoxicating?


Tonight's mashed potatoes will be loosely based on a Julia Child recipe, too. For those who don't know, I'm a rather adventurous cook, and often substitute ingredients based on what's in the cupboard, rather than what the recipe requires. It's my personal belief that recipes are just guidelines anyway.

The green beans will be made like thusly, an idea originally suggested by my foodie friend, Sol: after washing the green beans, sprinkle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees-ish for 15-20 minutes. These are always a hit. The same super easy recipe can be used for any vegetable. (Last night I cooked the sweet potatoes this way. Mmmm....)

Pound cake? SO SIMPLE! A pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a pound of eggs, and a pound of flour. Add some grated nutmeg, and cook in a tube pan (makes two cakes) at 350 for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature and cook another 30 minutes at 325. (This recipe was found in a Little House cookbook years ago when I read all the books to our daughters. It has remained a family favorite.)

Excuse me, please, while I go put the finishing touches on supper. Would y'all like to join us? We eat at 6:30.

2 comments:

lis said...

!!!delicioso!!!

we do the same with our vegetales but, instead of salt and pepper, we use a cajun spice called, "Slap Ya Mama!!!" One can purchase it at HEB!!! :) Just about everything the "Slap" touches, turns to yummy! ;-)

Sarah Hazel said...

"Slap Ya Mama!" Ha! I'll look for it the next time I go to HEB.