Thursday, April 05, 2012

In Six Words

I'm a big picture kind of person, always have been. When painting, I purposefully leave out details, partly because my eyes literally can't see tiny things, and partly because I get bogged down with so many little things and can't focus on the picture as a whole.

Same with writing. I write and write and write, and subtract most of it. What's left is a bare bones small narrative of my very small life.

That is why I was intrigued by something I read on a blog this week. The back story goes something like this: On a dare, Ernest Hemingway once boasted that he could write a compelling story in six words. There's no evidence that it's true, but like good fiction, it could be. For our story here, he wrote this:
"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Your assignment? Write a six word story to share. With several examples, I'll go first.


- Another month passed. She wasn't pregnant.

- Desperate for respect, he overlooked courtesy.

- "Don't call or write," he said.

- She prayed. The pain was overwhelming.

- He slammed the gate and left.

- Desperate for attention, she sold herself.

- It was summer. She was cold.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He died for you and me.

Betsy said...

One week of no alarm clock.

Margaret Simon said...

Can you stay awake with me?

Sarah Hazel said...

Thinking. Growing. Helping. Walking Loving. Living.