Thursday, July 01, 2010

Readin', Ritin', and 'Rithmetic

There's nothing to change, there's just some catching up to do. As regular readers know, I only started painting a few years ago. It's been an incredible blessing to paint, and in many ways, an incredible responsibility as well. There have been so many new skills to learn, and a style to develop, and on top of all of that, there's this huge business side to art as well.

The style develops the more painting I do. But to help with the organizational side of art, and the business side, or as they say in Texas, the bidness side of art, I've started reading books on those subjects. A book in my lap right now is Writing For a Good Cause by Joseph Barbato and Danielle S Furllich. How does writing have anything to do with painting, you ask? It has everything to do with painting.

Painting, as with a lot of things, is not an inexpensive lifestyle. There's so much more that I want to accomplish artistically than there is money in the budget to cover. All of these ideas are constantly running around in my brain about art concepts....everywhere I go, there's a new thought about a new project. If I could just figure out how to capture all of these ideas with the written word, and get someone else (as in the board of an organization) as excited as I am about all of it, then the entire stress of financing my artistic pursuit would be lifted.

Maybe this new book will help pinpoint ways I need to grow as a writer, so that I have more opportunities to grow as an artist.

No comments: