Friday, January 08, 2010

Them Apples

It's been good for my psyche to paint this week.

Before moving all painting supplies back upstairs to the art studio, I took the opportunity to paint an (other) apple still life in the more controlled lighting environment of the dining room one more time. But now that I've painted downstairs twice this week, it made me realize that the studio upstairs needs a little re-arranging. How this will be accomplished is beyond comprehension at this point, but something needs to change.

The way it's set up now is so that the easel faces a corner. It's great for painting from a reference photo, but completely useless when painting from life. What interest would there be in a painting of the corner of the studio? Besides, there's no room to set up a still life in that corner. One of the original reasons for setting up the easel where it is now is so that there is plenty of space to walk backwards (as I tend to walk back and forth quite a bit when painting.) Also, since I'm not left handed, the glass desk top palette needs to be at my right, so wherever the easel goes, the desk needs to go to it's right.

Ideally, there will be a viable solution to this conundrum, but in the meantime, I'm going to set up another apple still life in an inconvenient-for-painting spot in the bright sunlit studio.

How do you like them apples? (This newest one is an 11" x 14" oil on linen.)

No comments: