Thursday, January 28, 2010

There's A Chance


While watching the weather report and nursing my bowl of coffee (cappuccino latte) this morning, it somehow registered, even though I was in an only partially awake stupor, that in Houston today there was a chance of rain. The camellias have just begun to bloom, and the quince bush in the back yard is blooming for only the third year ever. So, thinking that today would be a good day to paint a still life before the rain destroyed our yard's yearly blossoms, I groggily stumbled outside to select flowers for the bouquet.

For the regular reader of this blog, one might remember that the upstairs studio is great for light, but there is no effective place to set up a proper still life. So, even though there were already cut flowers for painting, I spent the majority of the day rearranging the studio. Now that there's a small drop leaf table to the left of the easel, it will be much easier to set up a still life in the studio and more effectively control the light source. And, I still have room to walk backwards away from the easel without tripping over things behind me. Looks like a win/ win!

Speaking of win/win, it's almost time for the painting give-away. There's still a chance YOU could win, so put your name in the hat.

Tomorrow, there's another chance of rain, and a 90% chance that I will paint a still life.

1 comment:

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Hi Sarah, I love your new studio set up! I haven't been able to get any interest in painting a model at a cafe so I don't think it'll happen any time soon. The biggest challenge will be getting a cafe to let us take over part of the establishment. But . . . if you would like to go to a cafe with me sometime I would love to give it a try, and just paint random people, no model.
Joan