Monday, February 11, 2008

Artist Statement

I've been debating whether or not to publish my newly refined artist statement. Please don't copy it without my permission.

"Art is beauty in ordinary moments.

My work is most accurately described as postmodern, except that it is not limited to figurative work. It has been influenced by the Impressionists, Neo-Impressionists, and Post-Impressionists. There is a realistic quality to my work, but it is more about a moment, rather than getting bogged down in details. I purposefully leave out details in order to tell a better story with my paintings. My work is slightly messy, utilizing bold strokes and bright colors. Even so, the general impression is one of tranquility.

Subject matter for my paintings is propelled by my personal belief that common moments are beautiful and worth capturing in a two dimensional format, in my case, oil paints on linen. My audience is people who appreciate being gently reminded that daily life is full of small beauties....as simple as holding a child, practicing the piano, the clump of trees at the end of the block, or even flowers gathered from one's backyard.

A luxury of being a self-taught artist is picking one's influences. Being a long time fan of the Impressionist movement of the late 1800s, and of Cezanne and Matisse, it would hardly be a stretch to say that my style has been heavily influenced by studying this group of artists in books and museums.

Above all, my life as a stay-at-home mother -- taking my daughters to museums, the park; eating supper together nightly; laughing and growing together -- has been the greatest influence on my work. Having the full support of a loving husband has allowed my creativity to blossom in all areas of life. It wasn't until I started painting, though, that I found my heart's desire."

2 comments:

shanna said...

that's lovely Sarah.

Sarah Hazel said...

Thanks, Shanna.