Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wonky Eyeballs

The newest painting I'm working on is (to me) quite challenging. For whatever reason, the lines are ending up all wonky, eyeballs are in the wrong place, and lips way too large. If this was my intent, it would be fine. But it's not. Quite the opposite, in fact. So for this painting, I have resorted to doing math.

It's not the first time I've used basic math to finesse a painting. Fibonacci and his theories of beauty are often considered when I paint. OK, maybe not often, but frequently enough that I sometimes get out a ruler. It's been a while since I've used a ruler while painting, but the trial of what I'm working on now has prompted a re-visiting of the 12th century's famed mathematician's theory of divine proportion.

And the painting that yesterday looked like The Joker, is now less creepy to view, though still not ready for public consumption.

No comments: