Thursday, February 07, 2008

Blessed Blue Skies

Just shy of two years ago, I started my third mosaic project. Honestly, by now I thought it would be finished. But with more pressing art commitments, the mosaic project got put on hold. First, it languished in the studio. Then it was moved to the study, which was completely out of everyone's way...except for one thing. We moved into this house when our daughters were ages 6-12. We never had babies living here. But I love babies, and encourage all of our friends with babies to visit often. It never fails that something somewhere is not baby proofed.

All the tiles were in place for what my overactive imagination thought was a masterpiece. Isn't it amazing how much little humans are fascinated by small prettily colored bits of ceramic. One event at our house with more than two little bitties, and the great work was but a distant memory.

Settling into my studio again after the holidays, it dawned on me that the timing was perfect for finishing (starting) the mosaic project -- again. Enter Helen. I met Helen when Reese and I went to Palacios for an afternoon. She came over yesterday for coffee, and when she found out that I needed sky tiles for my mosaic, she just so happened to remember that she had been saving some broken plates and bowls...and three of them were blue! She very generously gave them to me. Who else in. their. right. mind. would get so excited to receive someone else's broken dishes as a gift? This is a very rough photo of the beginning of the tweaking phase of this motley mosaic. It's still a long way from being finished, but I see blue skies ahead.

Bless the little children for "messing up" my previous work. This is so much better than what I had before.

4 comments:

mcoker said...

Oooh, I love it :)

Missy said...

beautiful!

we must NEVER bring our children to your house. They will show you every single un-chilproofed inch within 5 minutes flat. One of our main rules is WE DON'T BREAK MOMMY'S HOUSE.

My friend Tony's great grandma was off the boat from Italy. When she was about 90, and barely spoke English, she spent who knows how long completely mosaic-ing the floor of their *garage*. Oversized garage. It is the most beautiful garage you have ever seen.

Sarah Hazel said...

PLEASE bring your kids over ANYTIME! I LOVE CHILDREN, and LOVE having them in our home. Who knows? Maybe with their help, I will create another masterpiece.

Missy said...

Ok, when do you want them???

We are very free the week of Spring break.... :)