Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Shadows of Childhood

"Shadows of Childhood" is the title of my finished retablo for Lawndale Art Center's Dia de los Muertos exhibit. Without undue influence from the artist, it IS a particular memory (for me) but one that I hope is universal as well. It's 12" x 9 and 3 quarters" and is made of sheet metal, oils, and hardboard. Come to the event on October 21st and support Lawndale! Even if this is not your style, there will be a variety of retablos from which to choose -- there always is. The opening bid for this piece is $50.


Also, the Center for Hearing and Speech had a photography contest after last years Via Colori event. A photograph that featured my sidewalk painting and the shoes that inspired it was one of the winners. Though the camera flash is shining on the glass of the photo, here I am posing with the photographer, Michael Matthews last night at Wade Wilson Art Gallery.


At Via Colori last year, after the street painting was done, Reese noticed Michael taking a photo of my pink chucks painting and coincidentally, I just so happened to be wearing my pink chucks at the time. Reese lifted me over a fence so that I could pose next to the street art. Apparently I kept saying, "They're the same pair!", which totally sounds like something I would do, and hence the title of the photo is "Same Pair". This photo will be auctioned off at this years Via Colori event on November 19th and 20th. (November 20th = my 48th birthday.)

No comments: