Sunday, February 22, 2009

Waimanalo Four-cast

Two years ago, when my little sister got married, this painting below (Waimanalo, Hawaii/ 22" x 28" oil on canvas) is what she wanted and received for a wedding gift. Little did I know that it was Waimanalo art project #1.



The painting is called "Waimanalo, Hawaii." Besides the obvious natural beauty, it was a great place to hang out with friends when I lived there. Our routine was to take a loaf of bread, jar of peanut butter, jar of jelly; body surf and boogie board till we were dog tired; play Frisbee and/or football; then make and eat sandy sandwiches. Good times.

Waimanalo is one of my favorite places on God's green earth. Sad to say, the last time I was there was 1993-ish. It's one reason that I decided to immortalize it again in a mosaic table top, on which I worked, not exclusively thank God, for two (or more) years. (Waimanalo art project 2)

Last November, someone commissioned me to re-create the image I had used for Via Colori as a Christmas gift for a loved one. (Via Colori = Waimanalo art project 3.) It was in the middle of a crazy busy season, and thankfully, it was finished in the allotted time. The photo at left is that commission (Waimanalo art project #4) and is a 14" x 18" oil on linen. The transaction was mentioned in a blog post here.

All four art projects were based on a photo used with permission from Judy Vorfeld's website. I fell in love with Judy's photo because it's exactly what I remember from visiting the backyard of the home of a college friend's aunt and uncle. No wonder....it is the backyard.

No comments: